If you have thought about getting solar panels for your home, you might have considered if it is worth investing in a solar battery. There are a few widespread benefits of battery storage systems, such as increased bill savings and blackout protection, but some solar commentators claim that solar batteries are costly.
But the truth is that getting solar batteries for your solar panels and buying them simultaneously is one of the smartest investments for solar battery storage homes. You will make the most cost-effective choice if you buy a mid-sized solar and battery system. They cost less and have a great payoff. But there are more benefits to buying solar batteries. We have listed some of them below.
- You can use more solar power that you generate in your home
- You can increase energy savings.
- You can become more independent from big energy companies.
- Get security and control during all blackouts but only with batteries that provide blackout protection. Not all batteries provide this feature.
- You can boost your positive impact on our environment by using clean and green solar power.
- If you buy both solar panels and solar batteries at the same time, you will get the most out of them. If you wait to buy them at the right time, you can obtain them at cheaper rates.
- Combining the cost of solar panels and the battery will cut out excess installation charges and combine the payback periods of the panels and the battery into one.
If you still have doubts about buying solar panels and batteries, you can learn more about them from this page. We have made an easy-to-understand blog for everyone.
Why combine solar panels with battery storage?
When the sun shines in the morning, the solar panels at your home will generate electricity. You can use it to power your home only during that time. The excess solar power you generate goes to the grid. But what people don't want you to know is that while you will receive a feed-in tariff for the excess solar power you export, it is most likely to be three times less than the rate at which you buy electricity.
This means that it is better to use as much solar power as you can generate instead of exporting it to the grid at a much lower price. Hence, it is best to use a battery with your solar panels for solar battery storage at home.
Even if you have decided to get solar power at home, not for the money, there are plenty of other advantages for you. The more solar power you use with solar panels and batteries, the less energy you will use made from burning fossil fuel that you buy back from the grid. If you wish to become energy independent, then you have to maximize the use of your own every to minimize the amount you need to buy back from a power company.
Furthermore, if you have a large enough solar system on the roof and if you have enough battery capacity to hold the electricity, you can potentially eliminate the consumption charge portion of your bill, which is based on how many units of electricity you use.
What is self-consumption?
When it comes to solar power, plenty of things have developed. The most important thing that you need to remember about solar energy is that you should use the most solar energy your solar panels can generate and your batteries can hold. This is called self-consumption.
You can get the most out of them by using electricity while being produced in a solar battery storage home. It is also called solar self-consumption. This way, you can ensure that your solar system delivers the most electricity.
Any energy that your system produces will first go to your home to power any devices that may be running. Hence, it will reduce the energy you import from the grid or purchase. Next, if your solar system produces more power than your household requires, for example, when no one is home, the excess is automatically sent back to the grid.
The exported solar energy is what self-consumption is all about, and it is what leads to the low feed-in rates.
What are the benefits of investing in solar battery storage?
There are dozens of solar battery storage options for your home. As electricity prices rise throughout most states, the cost of solar batteries is coming down. But why should you get a solar battery storage home? Well, here are the reasons you can consider installing a solar system unit consisting of solar panels and solar batteries.
1. Say goodbye to electric bill shock: People hate looking at their electricity bills because they magically increase with each passing month. But, the reason why people are sceptical about getting solar batteries is that they can still seem costly overall. You might be tempted to buy only solar panels.
But the upside is that if you install solar batteries, you can reduce your electricity bills to a greater extent than only with solar panels. A big enough solar panel on the roof creates almost all the electricity you require to run your home. The more solar you use, the less you buy from the big companies. Which in turn reduces your electricity bill.
2. Increase your energy independence: If you don't like to rely on the electricity from the grid, getting batteries will help to reduce the amount that you draw from it to meet your home's electricity needs. Though solar panels alone can do this job to a certain extent, they are not as flexible.
One needs to use the solar energy panels produced while they are being generated, or it automatically goes to the electric grid. On the other hand, batteries help to keep more of the energy that the panels generate for you.
Though there is no difference in how electricity from the grid or the electricity from solar panels works, it is pretty cool to say that you have some form of energy independence.
3. Limit your losses from a feed-in tariff: Solar feed-in incentives have gone down in many states to the point where you make hardly any profit from generating solar energy. But there are ways in which you can ensure that your precious solar energy retains its value. But to do this, you will need to install a battery bank. One can stem the flow of energy into the grid and make up for the potential losses.
4. Reduce your carbon footprint: Everyone knows that solar energy helps to reduce your carbon footprint. Depending on where you live, the electricity generation can differ. Through this method, you can store the solar energy you create in your batteries and can potentially decrease your home's carbon footprint down several notches.
5. Trade your energy on the grid: One can get so many different possibilities with solar battery storage home facilities. Since many electric retailers and network companies have increased their options of harnessing batteries to reduce wholesale market spikes, a person with solar facilities at home can selectively export the electricity for money.
Any standard battery storage system can potentially earn a premium rate for its stored energy. Though it is not certain what the exact rate will be, there is an overall positive aspect to it. Besides, you can be a battery owner and brag that you are a fantastic energy trader! So who are we to judge?
Are there any downsides to investing in home batteries?
There are downsides to all great things. So, among others, solar batteries are pretty costly. Current prices for batteries cannot always justify themselves within their warrantied lifespans. Besides, the electricity export rate is quite low compared to the electricity people buy from the electric companies. Hence, one might argue that these reasons are enough to not consider investing in a complete solar system with solar panels and a battery.
But we have found that the benefits of installing a solar battery storage home outweigh the negative aspects by a huge margin. Suppose one is not certain about going all-in to solar batteries right away. Instead, it can be a wise option to invest in small batteries.
Small batteries can provide the best returns for the money. A small battery will be a prudent approach to completing your solar battery storage home system. These small units soak up some of the excess energy, which will ultimately be worth more to you if it stays in your home.
Generally, small scale batteries have the shortest payback period when you charge and discharge them twice a day. These are best for people who want big returns without a big commitment.
If you want to learn about the benefits of combining solar panels and batteries, then talk to our solar experts at 1300 867 328