Solar energy is one of the top-most choices of energy resources that are gaining market today at a fast pace. This energy can light your home and is environmentally friendly to the most. Solar energy is harnessed with the help of solar batteries, and there are numerous options for you to choose from. In this battery blog, one will get to know everything about solar batteries, how you should choose one for your home and which are the best ones that have captured the market.
What Are Solar Batteries?
A solar battery is essentially an energy storage device. It also goes by a ton of other names, like solar power battery, or simply solar battery storage. This battery can be paired with any other off-grid or hybrid solar power system. Solar batteries can store energy from an outside solar PV source, and they are designed to connect it with a special charger. This solar charger (also solar inverter) helps in the case of power backup. It is designed in a system that the panels absorb energy directly from the sun. After it has absorbed energy, the battery helps to convert it to electricity. This electricity then passes through your home inverter to light your home and makes it ready to use. This solar battery helps you to store the extra energy that is generated with the help of solar panels throughout the day.
The Main Solar Battery Types
There are two main battery types that are available in the market. These are:
- Lithium-ion Battery: Lithium-ion is a very popular type of solar battery. This battery is extremely well known for having a high current rating coupling with long cycle life. This long life cycle is perhaps its biggest benefit, and it can go up to 5000 cycles quite easily. This battery is known to be very eco-friendly and has a higher density of energy. It also has a high charge and discharge capacity. This ability helps it to harvest more energy through the solar panel.
- Tall Tubular Battery: A lead-acid or tall tubular battery is perhaps one of the most successful and reliable technologies that are available in the market for solar batteries. It is also well-known as one of the oldest technologies too. It is simply the upgraded version of those normal batteries that you use in your home. Apart from your home, it can be used in other places as well, like offices or any other institutions with a heavy load. They have thoroughly tested ones with deep cycle solar batteries, which are compatible with any home system or hybrid system and also off-grid systems.
How Should You Choose The Best Battery For Your Home
There is an essential checklist, which you must follow when deciding on a battery. It is very crucial to keep these points in your mind while purchasing a solar battery because not every battery is suitable to cater to your needs.
- Backup Time: If your solar battery is giving you an average backup time of 4-5 hours when you run it at 100% load, then it is pretty suitable. This backup time increases as you keep lowering your load.
- Time to charge the battery: After considering backup time, the second crucial factor is the charging time of the battery. The average time to charge your solar battery should be around 9 to 10 hours. This timespan might go down in the future.
- Warranty: Any product without a warranty is not much of a value. So you must check if your solar battery is coming with a warranty of at least three years.
- Maintenance and Servicing: Every battery will require maintenance regularly. This will help increase its lifespan and backup capacity.
The Best Batteries In The Market
Let’s see the best ones in the market
- Redback Battery: This battery has an Australian origin and is known to be efficient for any commercial use. Redback batteries can be easily used for your home, and if you are looking to upgrade your regular battery, then this is your best choice. Redback battery price is also quite reasonable, is this battery is efficient in the long run.
- Sonnen Battery: This battery is Made in Australia. It is a lithium iron phosphate batteries, which is perfect for all in-home purposes. It has a compact size and is quite convenient to handle.
- Tesla Powerwall: Tesla isn’t simply an automobile company, but it is a producer of the most sophisticated solar batteries on the market. If you already have a solar panel in your home, then this battery will perfectly suit it. It also comes in a very compact design and a year-long warranty.
Now you can understand the importance of solar batteries. They are the new future, and apart from being eco-friendly, they are also quite valuable for the long run. So which one are you going for? You can add battery in your existing solar system as well :)
Solar Secure is a CEC approved solar retailer and battery specialist.
Let’s talk with our solar battery experts 1300 867 328